Unguided Glacier Access is available in the Summer Only.
Opening and closing dates for self-guided access are subject to change.
Please check our website for updated information, or call our office.
NEW RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR SELF-GUIDED ACCESS
We offer self-guided glacier access for people who want to take their time to explore the Matanuska Glacier and its beauty. The trail is half-a-mile, leading to the terminus of the glacier. You’ll have a beautiful view of the face, as well as the start of the Matanuska River. In the distance, enjoy the vast beauty of the Chugach Mountains; this range spans South Central Alaska and is home to Mt. Marcus Baker, the mountain of origin to the Matanuska Glacier.
Season: Summer ONLY (TBD weather pending)
Access Hours: 10 am – 5 pm daily
Cost: $30 per person
Included: Glacier access only. No gear included.
Consideration and Rules:
- YOU MUST STAY ON THE MARKED TRAIL AT ALL TIMES.
- The trail is marked by orange cones, placed with the purpose to allow a less risky trek.
- Do not go past the marked cones ending the trail.
- Most of the trail is on the ice. Exercise precaution when walking and stay alert.
- If you wish to go beyond the marked trail you must have a guide with you.
It is required to keep your cell phone on at all times in case of an emergency or if the office needs to contact you.
- Do not step into any water. Puddles or streams can be very deep.
- Do not jump over any crevasses. If it is big enough so as you cannot easily step over, it is too big to cross.
- Do not try to climb ice that is too steep.
- Do not slide down steep slopes of ice. This will inevitably cause injury.
Drones are not allowed. This is in consideration of the other people on the glacier, their privacy, and enjoyment of the natural surroundings and sounds.
- Whatever you pack in, you MUST pack out. This includes food, tissues, wrappers, or other garbage.
- Be a responsible pet owner and pick up after your animal.
WARNING: IF YOU HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE HIKING ON ICE OR HIKING IN GENERAL, WE STRONGLY ADVISE BOOKING A TOUR. CALL OUR OFFICE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS.
Learn more about taking an unforgettable guided glacier hiking tour on the magnificent Matanuska Glacier.