UNGUIDED GLACIER ACCESS IS AVAILABLE IN THE SUMMER ONLY
Opening and closing dates for self-guided access are subject to change. Please check our website for updated information, or call our office.
NEW RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR SELF-GUIDED ACCESS
We offer self-guided glacier access for people who want to take their time to explore the Matanuska Glacier and its beauty. The trail is half-a-mile, leading to the terminus of the glacier. You'll have a beautiful view of the face, as well as the start of the Matanuska River. In the distance, enjoy the vast beauty of the Chugach Mountains; this range spans South Central Alaska and is home to Mt. Marcus Baker, the mountain of origin to the Matanuska Glacier.
Season: Summer ONLY (TBD weather pending)
Access Hours: 9am-6pm daily
Cost: $30 per person
Included: Glacier access only. No gear included.
Consideration and Rules:
- YOU MUST STAY ON THE MARKED TRAIL AT ALL TIMES.
- Trail is marked by orange cones, placed with purpose to allow a less risky trek.
- Do not go past the marked cones ending the trail.
- Most of the trail is on the ice. Exercise precaution when walking and stay alert.
- If you wish to go beyond the marked trail you must have a guide with you.
- It is required to keep your cell phone on at all times in case of an emergency or if the office needs to contact you.
- Do not step into any water. Puddles or streams can be very deep.
- Do not jump over any crevasses. If it is big enough so as you cannot easily step over, it is too big to cross.
- Do not try to climb ice that is too steep.
- Do not slide down steep slopes of ice. This will inevitably cause injury.
- Drones are not allowed. This is in consideration of the other people on the glacier, their privacy, and enjoyment of the natural surroundings and sounds.
- Whatever you pack in, you MUST pack out. This includes food, tissues, wrappers or other garbage.
- Be a responsible pet owner and pick up after your animal.
WARNING ⚠️ IF YOU HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE HIKING ON ICE OR HIKING IN GENERAL, WE STRONGLY ADVISE BOOKING A TOUR. CALL OUR OFFICE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS.